Girl Scout Brownies
Girl Scouts in Grades 2-3
Who are Brownies?
Brownies are fun-loving adventurers, stepping out of their family and school surroundings to learn more about themselves in relation to others.
The name "Brownie" is used in Girl Guide and Girl Scout organzations worldwide, and it's part of the fabric of growing up in the United States.
Brownie Meetings and Try-Its
A typical Brownie meeting includes songs, crafts, games and exploration of new places and ideas. Brownie Journey programs encourage this exploration and help girls grow into leaders.
Brownies can earn Try-Its which they wear on the front of their brown sash or vest. Try-Its introduce girls to activities and let them try something out -- proficiency is neither required nor expected.
As a Brownie, you might ...
- Learn how animals are cared for and organize a toy and blanket drive for a shelter
- Take a trip to Dairy Queen and learn how they make ice cream
- Attend special Girl Scout events in your community
- March in community parades
- Teach Girl Scout Daisies songs and games
- Go camping, make s'mores over a campfire
- Earn Try-Its, learning new skills
- Try a week of new things at summer camp
Girl Scout Journeys are leadership programs that enable girls to plan and make decisions at every level. The first was introduced in 2008, and the second will come in Fall 2009.
It's Your World - Change It!
On the Quest, girls meet three new friends and an elf, in a sport that inspires community service.
It's Your Planet - Love It!
The Brownie Elf is back for more adventures in WOW! Real-life Brownies will explore the Wonders of Water and try out new ways of working as a team.
WOW! - coming soon
Girls Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts offers a wide variety of programs for all Brownies -- girls in troops and girls who are independent members.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts Patch Programs (all PDF):
- Troop Terrific
- Making A Positive Impact
- Tale of Two Cultures
- Freedom Trail
- Activity Guide for Brownies (Animals in their Snuggies)
- Oceanography Try-It - Council's Own
How to Join
Joining Girl Scouts is lots of fun and a great way to learn new things, make friends, and develop leadership skills. Girls in grades K-12 and adults can join Girl Scouts any time during the year.
Volunteers make Brownie Girl Scouts happen. Please sign up with your Brownie!