Girl Scout Cadettes
Girl Scouts in Grades 6-8
Who are Cadettes?
Cadettes have more control of what they do as Girl Scouts and are encouraged to pursue individual and group goals. Girls at this level are making the transition from younger to teen Girl Scouting.
Cadettes make nearly all decisions about their program, and take responsibility for raising the funds to pay for their activities. Meetings vary a great deal, depending on individual and group projects, which are more complex than younger levels of Girl Scouts. The meetings will involve learning about a topic or a concept, and then taking steps to improve the world through education or service.
Cadettes have more advanced, formal leadership training and may work as Program Aides in troops, at council programs and at camp. They may earn the Leadership Award, the Career Award, and the Challenge. Girl Scout Cadettes may earn the Silver Award, the highest achievement for Cadettes.
As a Cadette, you might ...
- Attend resident camp and travel to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket
- Become a Program Aide and help at program events
- Go whitewater rafting with a river guide
- Bake for National Bread Day and donate bread to a shelter
- Take a troop trip to New York for the weekend
- Do as much as you can on your own, before asking adults for help
- Become a certified babysitter
- Sell cookies to help finance Destinations
- Decide on, organize and implement plans with little input from adults
Girl Scout Journeys are leadership programs that enable girls to plan and make decisions at every level. The first was introduced in 2008, and the second will come in Fall 2009.
It's Your World - Change It!
Life is a maze of relationships. Cadettes maneuver through its twists and turns to find true friendships, plenty of confidence and maybe even peace.
It's Your Planet - Love It!
Girls learn a lot of air-clearing strategies -- physical and metaphorical -- involving personal leadership.
Breathe - coming soon
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts offers a wide variety of programs for all Cadettes -- girls in troops and girls who are independent members.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts Patch Programs (all PDF):
- Troop Terrific
- Making A Positive Impact
- Freedom Trail
- Tale of Two Cultures
- Oceanography IP - Council's Own
- Discover Nursing IP - Council's Own
How to Join
Joining Girl Scouts is lots of fun and a great way to learn new things, make friends, and develop leadership skills. Girls in grades K-12 and adults can join Girl Scouts any time during the year.
Volunteers make Cadette Girl Scouts happen. Please sign up with your Cadette!