Girl Scout Seniors
Girl Scouts in Grades 9-10
Who are Seniors?
Seniors are already confident leaders, caring members of the community, responsible for themselves and respectful of the common good. They pursue group and personal goals, and use the Girl Scout Cookie Sale as an entrepreneurship experience.
Seniors make all decisions about their program, decide on activities based on a budget, and make all plans for meetings and events. They completely plan and organize trips. They raise they money to pay for their activities and, often, to fund service projects to meet community needs.
Seniors work on Interest Projects, which are more complex than recognitions at younger levels of Girl Scouts. IPs involve learning about a topic or a concept, and then taking steps to improve the world by using it through education or service.
Seniors have comprehensive, cross-functional leadership training and may work as Program Aides, as Counselors-in-Training at camp and as Leaders-in-Training in troops. Many earn the Leadership Award and the Career Award. Girl Scout Seniors may earn the Gold Award, the highest achievement in all of Girl Scouting.
As a Senior, you might ...
- Meet personal challenges on a 45-foot-high ropes course
- Go horseback riding for a week at resident camp
- Become a Counselor-in-Training to lead girls at camp
- Develop an internet chat group for the troop, with volunteer guidance
- Explore career interests with a mentor
- Join a virtual book club to blog with Seniors from afar
- Organize a car pooling campaign to cut pollution
- Learn to be a First Responder in an emergency
- Travel across the country for a program adventure through Destinations
- Decide on, organize and implement plans with little input from volunteers
Girl Scout Journeys are leadership programs that enable girls to plan and make decisions at every level. The first was introduced in 2008, and the second will come in Fall 2009.
It's Your World - Change It!
Seniors create their vision of the perfect world, first as an art project. Then they work to bring their image into real life.
It's Your Planet - Love It!
Girls get to the roots of the real (not cable!) food network to see how complex and global food and land issues are. They will question their own "food print" and they develop a "leader print."
Sow What? - coming soon
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts offers a wide variety of programs for all Seniors -- girls in troops and girls who are independent members.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts Patch Programs (all PDF):
- Troop Terrific
- Making A Positive Impact
- Freedom Trail
- Oceanography IP - council's own
- Discover Nursing IP - council's own
How to Join
Joining Girl Scouts is lots of fun and a great way to learn new things, make friends, and develop leadership skills. Girls in grades K-12 and adults can join Girl Scouts any time during the year.
Volunteers advise Senior Girl Scouts. Please sign up with your Senior!