Girl Scout Seniors
Girl Scouts in Grades 9-10
Who are Seniors?
Seniors are already confident leaders, caring members of the community, responsible for themselves and respectful of the common good. Through the National Program Portfolio and Girl Scout Leadership Experience, they pursue group and personal goals, and use the Girl Scout Cookie Sale as an entrepreneurship experience.
Seniors make all decisions about their program, decide on activities based on a budget, and make all plans for meetings and events. They completely plan and organize trips. They raise they money to pay for their activities and, often, to fund service projects to meet community needs.
Seniors have comprehensive, cross-functional leadership training. They can earn badges and the Community Service Bar. Seniors may also work as Program Aides, Counselors-in-Training at camp, and Volunteers-in-Training in troops. Girl Scout Seniors may earn the Gold Award, the highest achievement in all of Girl Scouting.
As a Senior, you might ...
- Meet personal challenges on a 45-foot-high ropes course
- Go horseback riding for a week at resident camp
- Become a Counselor-in-Training to lead girls at camp
- Develop an internet chat group for the troop, with volunteer guidance
- Explore career interests with a mentor
- Join a virtual book club to blog with Seniors from afar
- Organize a car pooling campaign to cut pollution
- Learn to be a First Responder in an emergency
- Travel across the country for a program adventure through Destinations
- Decide on, organize and implement plans with little input from volunteers
Girl Scout Journeys are leadership programs that enable girls to plan and make decisions at every level.
It's Your World – Change It!
GIRLtopia guides Seniors to create their vision of the perfect world, first as an art project. Then they work to bring their image into real life.
It's Your Planet – Love It!
So What? takes girls to the roots of the real (not cable!) food network to see how complex and global food and land issues are. They will question their own "food print" and they develop a "leader print."
It's Your Story – Tell It!
When it comes to sisterhood, what girls start can spiral outward and change the world. Through Mission: Sisterhood! girls see the stories all around them and grow as leaders by widening their networks and broadening their world.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts offers a wide variety of programs for all Seniors -- girls in troops and girls who are independent members.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts Patch Programs (all PDF):
- Troop Terrific
- Making A Positive Impact
- Freedom Trail
- Oceanography Badge - council's own
- Discover Nursing Badge - council's own
How to Join
Joining Girl Scouts is lots of fun and a great way to learn new things, make friends, and develop leadership skills. Girls in grades K-12 and adults can join Girl Scouts any time during the year.
Volunteers advise Senior Girl Scouts. Please sign up with your Senior!