Health Care at Camp

  • Safety, Compliance, Forms

    girls at summer camp

    Safety and Compliance

    Our primary concern is the safety and well-being of every camper. Our camps follow all safety and risk management guidelines set by Girl Scouts of the USA, the local, state and federal boards of health, and the American Camp Association, a national camp organization that sets high standards for both the health and safety of campers and staff, and the delivery of quality programs. All camps in Massachusetts must comply with regulations of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (105 CMR 430.000). New Hampshire camps are in compliance with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services Rules (Part Env-WS 1120.00). In addition, the board of health in the town in which the camp is located licenses each camp.

    As required by MA DPH 430:190 (C) and (D), these camps must comply with regulations of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and be licensed by the local board of health. Parents may request copies of background checks, health care and discipline policies, as well as procedures for filing grievances.

    American Camp Association (ACA) accreditation means that the camp you are considering for your child cares enough to undergo a thorough annual review of its operation—more than 250 standards from staff qualifications and training to emergency management. ACA collaborates with experts from the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Red Cross and other youth service agencies to assure that current practices reflect the most up-to-date, research-based standards in camp operation. All our camps are ACA certified. A health care supervisor staffs the camp health center and a local physician is on call.

    Health Forms

    All campers are required to have a physical examination within 12 months prior to arriving at camp. All health forms must be completed and signed by a physician each year (including inoculation update) and submitted no later than May 1, 2014. In addition, the immunization record for each child must include the following vaccines: Hepatitis B for all children born after December 31, 1992 (3 doses are required); Diphtheria, Tetanus Toxoids and Pertussis (at least 4 doses); MMR (2 doses or proof of laboratory evidence of immunity) and Polio (3 to 4 doses depending on the type). Health forms are sent to campers with the confirmation packets and are available online. If a camper will attend more than one Girl Scout camp this summer, please list all camp names and sessions on the health form. Make an appointment with your family doctor for a physical or to obtain copies of current immunization and exam records early.

    No child may attend camp without submitting a health form.

  • HCC, HCS, Medications

    Health Care Consultant:

    The health care consultant (HCC) is a licensed physician. The HCC assists in the development of the camp's health care policy; develops and signs written orders for the health care supervisor; and is available for consultation at all times. The health care consultant is not present at camp.

    Health Care Supervisor:

    The health care supervisor (HCS) is, by regulation, present at the camp at all times and has, at a minimum, first aid and CPR certification. The health care consultant authorizes the HCS to be in charge of health matters at camp on a day-to-day basis and to dispense medications.


    State regulations cover the storage and dispensing of medications. All medication must come to camp in the original containers and be stored by the health care supervisor in locked compartments in the camp health center. Exceptions to storage by the HCS are authorized for medications for treatment of allergies and asthma. Questions about these medications should be raised with the camp prior to the child’s arrival. To ensure a smooth transition, we recommend that your child continue the medications she needs during the school year at summer camp. If prescription medications are brought to camp, the container must have a pharmacy label showing the prescription number, patient’s name, date filled, physician’s name, name of medication and directions for use. Any camper coming to camp with a prescription Epi-pen® or inhaler must bring two of either, one for the infirmary and one for the unit. The HCS dispenses medication according to the directions. If a camper refuses to take prescribed medications, this refusal is documented in the health log and the parent/guardian is notified. If your camper is taking the bus to camp, all medications must be placed in a Ziploc bag labeled with the camper's name and address and handed directly to the bus monitor by parent/guardian.

    Complete health care policy for council camps is available to a parent or guardian upon request to Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, 95 Berkeley St., Suite 404, Boston, MA 02116

  • Care of Campers, MA DPH

    girls swimming at summer camp

    Care of Mildly Ill Campers

    Staff is responsible for reporting any signs of illness to the health care supervisor (HCS), who assesses each situation. The HCS may administer over-the-counter medications she believes are warranted if they are authorized by the parent/guardian. If the HCS determines the child should be sent home or seen by the health care consultant, she informs the camp director and arrangements are made. In both situations, the parent/guardian is contacted as soon as possible.

    Care of Campers who have an Illness/Accident at Camp

    Parents/guardians will be notified as soon as possible should a camper be taken to the doctor's office/hospital for an injury or health condition and if medication has been prescribed by the camp's health care consultant. The HCS or camp director will notify parents/guardians of any persistent conditions or ailments. Parents/guardians should notify their doctor and health care provider of any health condition or accident/injury occurring at camp for follow-up visits and billing purposes.

    MA Department of Public Health

    At the request of the Department of Public Health we have included a fact sheet on Meningococcal disease on our camp registration website. Girls attending day or resident camps are not considered to be at an increased risk. Also, in an effort to increase awareness of Lyme disease, the Department of Public Health asks all parents to conduct daily "tick checks" to prevent infection. Remember: not all ticks carry Lyme disease. For more information, please visit and read the Public Health Factsheets.

    Health care at council camps is administered under regulations established by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (105 CMR 430) or the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services.